June 25th, 2009
|09:53 pm - Memes: They do your flist good|
I'm aware that my posting has been somewhat... sporadic over the last few weeks. Though it's kinda understandable, what with assignments and exams and all. But those are done for now! But it has also come to my attention that I haven't had many comments lately (valid, since I doubt you all care much about my exams).
But I feel like chatting with you guys about something, and since the recent Big Thing online seems to be utterly rage-inducing, I think I'll sit that out and go for an meme I'm pinching from like half my flist:
Name a fandom, and I'll give you the scoop on at least three of my unpopular opinions related to that fandom.
You guys should know my fandoms. If not try my interests or my icons. Or you could just throw names of things you think I am familiar with.
|Date:||June 25th, 2009 12:10 pm (UTC)|| |
The Chifley fandom.
There are no unpopular opinions in the Chifley fandom. Only Chifley.
I LIKE THE PINK AND BLUE ONE I HAD!
WHAT ABOUT APPLEJACK - KICKASS FEMME OR MARY-SUE?
ALL I KNOW ABOUT MY LITTLE PONY IS THAT I LIKED THE ONE I HAD. I DON'T REMEMBER THE SHOW.
I never saw it I just had the toys. Mine used to, err, team up to have a revolution and overthrow the magical princess one.
I had one and my sister had one.
I can't remember what we used to do with them, though. Barbies were possibly involved.
Oh hey, you're the first person to ask me this in all seriousness.
So, unpopular opinions:
1. I do not understand Roy/Ed. At all.
The exception to this being in the movie, but that's just one of it's many weirdnesses. But basically, for pretty much any version, the Roy-Ed relationship reads to me as Roy trying to prevent Ed losing his innocence the way Ishbal destroyed his own, while Ed's has epic male authority figure issues because of his father, and as the major male authority figure in his life, treats Roy pretty similarly (compare his interactions between the two, especially in the manga). It just seems so pseudo father-son to me.
2. The new anime is flawed in a number of ways, but I already like it more than the old.
Yeah, that one episode had way too much split-screen, and they've cut a lot of stuff, and the music and voices are different. I don't care. As much as I liked the first anime at the time, in retrospect I really dislike the direction in went in later parts, especially the way it treated the female characters which the manga is so awesome about, and so by being closer to the manga I automatically like it more.
3. I think Roy is overrated in fandom.
Don't get me wrong, I like Roy. But he's at the lower end of my top ten FMA characters, and I think the reaction he gets from fandom is disproportionate. Especially the people who whine every month he doesn't show up in the manga.
1. This, definitely. I think any way you choose to see it an Ed/Roy relationship would be all tied up with Ed's daddy issues. Another pairing I don't get is Ed/Al. I can maybe see how you could find UST between Roy and Ed, but I just can't see any at all between Ed and Al.
2. I was actually thinking yesterday, that I prefer the new anime simply because it has the manga plot. The animation doesn't really bother me either way as long as it's not absolutely crap. I'm only up to episode 24 on the old anime, and haven't watched any more because then I'd have to watch episode 26, but my opinion could always change.
3. When I started out with the manga, I was definitely a Roy fan, but when all the other awesome characters turned up, that changed. I still like Roy, but there are other characters I like just as much, maybe more.
Just wondering, who are your favourites?
1. Both pairings seem to show up more from old anime fans than the manga fans. Though that might also be related to how the old anime screwed over the female characters.
2. Yeah, manga plot has my preference too. And you're nearly at where they split.
I love all Elrics. Ed and Al and Hohenheim, who doesn't get enough love. I also adore Winry and Riza. I'd go on, except I'd probably end up listing half the cast.
Dammit, I'm so with fandom that I can't even think of unpopular opinions for Princess Tutu.
Give me a few hours and I'll try to think of something.
LOL, I thought that at first, but then I came up with four things to rant on. XD Annnd I almost added a fifth but decided against it. ...I think I like playing devil's advocate, though.
Okay, here's my sucktastic attempt.
These may be influenced by some of your opinions. Note: I have no idea how actually unpopular these opinions are:
1. I have absolutely no problem with the name Duck whatsoever.
I'm a fan of Death Note, I have seen stupider names.
2. There should be more Mytho/Rue post-series fic
Or whatever they call themselves once they become fictional characters. Like you, I love Fakir/Ahiru as a pairing the most, but in the last few episodes they grew hugely on me, and I so want more fic of them. Especially with them being happy, since they both need a little happiness.
3. I don't really get the appeal of Autor as a character.
He's entertaining and funny and even sweet and sad at times, but I don't really care about him much beyond what we saw onscreen
1. LOL, Death Note's names are so bad. XD
3. You know, it's funny, I can remember when the reverse would've been an unpopular opinion in fandom...it's funny how things change sometimes.
I like Death Note, I really do, but their taste in names is so utterly hilarious.
And Princess Tutu is, I admit, about a million times better then most fandoms when it comes to people who would rather focus on minor male characters than major female ones.
XD Well, to be fair, I think the guy was trying to avoid names that real people have. But...
To be fair, some fandoms have some pretty weak female characters. Princess Tutu's characters are all very well-written, whether male or female. Raetsel is another one of my minor-character obsessions. XD
Oh Death Note, so unintentionally hilarious.
Hey, at least your minor character interests are equal opportunity.