?

Log in

No account? Create an account
And that would be the end of that - Eldritch Lacemaking and other Randomness

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile

Links About Me
My Twitter
My Links Lists
My ff.net Profile (Just for the favourites list)

Places I Frequent:

Sporking and Mocking Comms
GAFF
Fandom Wank
The HMS STFU
HP Cornfield
My JF Flist

Fandom and Squeedom (Currently Doctor Who)
TV Tropes Wiki
Outpost Gallifrey
Freema Love
Scans Daily

Meet the Joneses (Comms I moderate)
Life On Martha - All your Martha Jones needs
Torchwood Coffee - Ianto!Love

November 13th, 2009


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
10:45 pm - And that would be the end of that
And so endeth my Internship. Last day and all today.

At least it ended on a good note. If by "good note" one means "had very little work to do, so spent most of the day messing around on the Internet and chatting with people who came up to ask how I liked my time there. And to compliment my haircut."

(Yeah, I got my hair cut the other day. It is now... much shorter than it used to be. Possibly the shortest I have ever had it. I was going to take a picture to show you guys, but I couldn't get a decent one - as always, I Do Not Photograph Well - so no camwhoring for you.)

Anyway, back to Interning. My supervisor gave me what sounded like a decent enough write-up. And we had an ice-cream party for my last day. No, really - at afternoon tea, someone brought in ice-cream and mini cones, and we ate that. Which was very nice of them.

So now I just need to do the reflective essay, which will be easy. Huzzah!

Also: Have a meme.

Leave me a comment saying "UNICORNSICE-CREAM!"
I'll respond by asking you five questions so I can get to know you better.
Update your journal with the answers to the questions.
Include this explanation in the post and offer to ask other people questions.


I grabbed this from robotlove, and she asked me the following questions:


1. All the countries you've been to so far and the one you like best!
Excluding Australia ('Cos I live here), I've been to New Zealand, - I was like a year old, so I don't remember it - Thailand, Egypt and Jordan. And technically Singapore, though I never left the airport.

As for my favourite... While the competition is probably down to between Thailand and Egypt, which both have very, very good points, Egypt most likely wins out on the basis that it's got a wider range of cool stuff. Including resorty beachy things if you go to the Red Sea.

2. Favorite color
Hot pink. Not the pale or salmon pinks, though I still like those, but the really bright, bold hot pink. Yeah, it's one of my particularly girly moments.

3. Least favorite Geass character
Kinda grateful this was phrased as "least favourite" rather than "most disliked", mainly because I don't really hate any of the Code Geass characters. There's characters I love, characters I like, characters that amuse me, characters that interest me (without liking them), and characters I don't care about/find mildly annoying.

Anyway, it depend if we are talking about overall opinion, or at a specific point. The closest I came to hating any Geass character is when the Suzaku-Lelouch meet-up got interrupted just as they were about to work together. I had a moment of ARGH RAGE at Schneizel over that. Overall, though, it's probably... Rolo. Not because of any actual dislike for him, I just didn't care about him at all, and I spent most of the time that was focused on him wishing they'd focus on characters I actually cared about. I appreciate what his death meant in terms of Lelouch's development, but as a character in and of himself, I am just profoundly apathetic to Rolo.

4. Favorite subject
FFFFFF...

No idea. Creative Writing classes are the most fun, even if in educational terms they are probably the least productive; sociology and psychology tend to have interesting lectures, but dull assignments. That class I had a few years back on Cybersocieties was great though. And anything about Media and Culture is good.

5. Why vegetarian, and which of all veg food do you like best? :D
I'm not vegetarian for any particularly moral reason, I just don't like the taste of meat - even before I became a vego, I never ate much red meat - and the idea of eating something's flesh kind of squicks me out. A lot. But because my reasons are so subjective, you'll never hear me try to convert others or anything.

And as for food... maybe a curry. Actually, probably definitely curry. I remember out last day in Jordan, when I'd been away from Australia and my Indian take-away joint for three weeks, and I went to the hotel restaurant and had a veggie curry for lunch. OM NOM NOM! I still don't know if that place actually made amazing curries, or if it was just the joy of having one after living off the somewhat small range of tour vegetarian options for three weeks.


I reserve the right to ask people exceedingly stupid and/or random questions if they respond to this meme.
Current Mood: tiredtired

(27 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:robotlove
Date:November 13th, 2009 12:09 pm (UTC)
(Link)
LOL you should see what warplanes got from caramell_dansen if we're talking about exceedingly stupid and random questions.

And aaaah I was curious about number 5. OKAY. SO NOW I KNOW. CURRY EH? /will try to scout for more curry places to add to the list. And ah, Rolo. I love the poor kid, but generally as long as I don't see people bashing him, I'm cool B) I actually threw that question in there because I saw MY least favorite in the icon you used for your comment and then I got curious about that too |D

Edited at 2009-11-13 12:10 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 13th, 2009 12:21 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dare I even ask?

Curry is good. I'd say salads, but Mother Dearest tends to be iffy about eating salads in a lot of places unless it's a fairly decent restaurant.

I'm sort of the inversion, fine with people liking him, just don't try and shove in my face how he's the greaterest thing ever. Though I generally just try and stick to talking about characters I like/interest me. (Which is why backreading episode reaction blogs makes me grumpy. Boo to all the Suzaku hate!) Lemme guess, Euphie?
[User Picture]
From:robotlove
Date:November 14th, 2009 08:49 am (UTC)
(Link)
oh goodness, episode reactions. I was only on livejournal for the last few episodes, but that was enough to make me facepalm and get rather annoyed with SuzaLulu and CCLulu fans in general. For goodness sakes, all Kallen did was CONFESS AND KISS LELOUCH B|
Then again, I hear that KaLulu fans have been causing their own share of nonsense and that they can be FAR more ridiculous, which only serves for more embarrassment. Oh well.
Heh, Suzaku got rather annoying with all his OMGYOUKILLEDEUPHYYYYYYYYYY especially in the first half of R2 (prior to that I was more or less neutral with his character). As I've told others before, I think his anger and upset is completely justified, but it was still irksome. But it is also always interesting to watch him work his way through his conflicting emotions. The poor messed-up kid. (I didn't catch much Suzaku hate while I was more active in fandom though. I remember being a bit annoyed at him, but I always kept those comments to myself and never did I hate him. Oh sigh. Geass fandom is just *shakes head*) WELL THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THAT AFTER ALL THAT I'VE STILL MANAGED TO COME OUT LOVING SUZAKU JUST AS MUCH, SO \8D/ Ahaha yes Euphy xD It's difficult to hate someone so good, and I DO like pink too, but I somehow find this one too... overwhelming for my taste ^^"
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 01:17 pm (UTC)
(Link)
I only watched the series a few months back, and so I was spoiled for the whole Zero Requiem deal, I knew Suzaku and Lelouch made up again, and so all the hate directed at him baffled me.

As for Kallen... I was apathetic to her in the first series, and grew to like her in R2 (Though I still think she was the least developed/showed least character development of the "main four". Which may be why I like post-R2 fic for Kallen: I think realising how she misjudged/was played during Zero Requiem would be the push to give her a bit more self-analysis, which is a really positive development for her.) That said, my introduction to KaLulu fans was via TVTropes - and it just so happens that the really vocal KaLulu fans there are also really vocal Suzaku haters which rather put me off them and the ship for a while.

See, Suzaku was my favourite from... maybe half-way through the first season, and as someone who both genuinely liked Suzaku/Euphy and watched R2 immediately after I finished the first series so her death was still very fresh to me. So that never bothered me. I just wanted him to be happy again, SOB.

Euphy is weird in that she's the sort of character type I didn't expect to like at all, so I was rather surprised to find I actually did quite like her. She was my second favourite female character in the first season. Though I admit my LOL SUZAKU bias means I have no idea how much of this is because Suzaku likes her.
[User Picture]
From:robotlove
Date:November 14th, 2009 02:29 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Ahaha, I was watching everything while Japan/the fandom was about halfway into R2, and yes I also went right ahead to watch R2, though I only caught up with real time at around Turn 21 or 22.
All I remember are some reactions of shock when Suzaku smashed Lelouch's head into the ground. I'd heard vaguely about it before I watched that part but it was still a major YIKES!OUCH when it happened. BUT I LOVE THAT PART. SO MUCH RAW EMOTION AND ANGST OM NOM NOM.

Kallen is my favorite female character from the series, as she was from the start. I've always admired her fire and her ability to choose her beliefs over her feelings for Lelouch (another thing which contributed to my liking for the pairing besides the trust they had, and its whole overall dynamic). What's annoying is Sunrise's tendency to use her for fanservice, as well as how most Kalulu fans appear to behave rather distastefully. In terms of character development, I see her as the least complex of the main 4; she seems to be a simple girl at heart to me. I do, however, enjoy all her interactions with Lelouch and with Suzaku, as well as all that delicious postR2 SuzaKallen fic.....

I just wanted him to be happy again
Same here ;_; WHICH IS WHY I'VE GOT SOME CRACKFLUFF CHAPTERED FIC PLANNED, but all plans and progress have ground to a halt for now thanks to school. ...edit: bleagh grammatical typo

Edited at 2009-11-14 02:32 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 03:06 pm (UTC)
(Link)
LOL, I first heard about Geass in the latter parts of R2, vaguely was aware of assorted flipping out over different spoilers, and decided I might try and catch the series if it had a decent ending, since endings can be make-or-break for me.


...Then it took me six months before I got around to watching it. I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED THERE. While I love that scene, I tend to not really focus on the face-stomp itself much. But yes, SO MUCH EMOTION AND ACTUAL HONEST INTERACTION GOING ON. Stupid Kanon and Schniezel.

Weirdly enough (warning: This is sort of tl;dr, because it's a bunch of thoughts I've been having for a while on why I found a lot of characters more likable in R2, despite plot issues), I think the reason I didn't like KaLulu for the first season is probably the same reason Lelouch himself took a while to grow on me. It basically comes down to the fact that, while large chunks of fandom may go in raptures over it, I wasn't really fond of the way Lelouch and the Black Knights interactions went. Not with Britannia, but with each other. Because, for the most part Lelouch saw them as tools to be manipulated rather than people (which, given how kind he is to his friends, is an incredibly dick move). And the Black Knights, after some initial doubts are just... completely blindly loyal to this guy when they must be aware talks a lot of utter bullshit. Kallen, being an exemplar of the BK, most of all. And for most of R1, this pattern of interaction made Lelouch look like a dick, and the BK (and Kallen as their most central character) look like idiots for their blind loyalty.

...Now, in R2, things change a bit. Lelouch begins to care for at least some of the BK as individuals; the BK are more skeptical and questioning of Zero's actions, and Kallen is a lot less blindly loyal and willing to call Lelouch on his shit. And so consequently, I liked all of them more, and their interactions - including the KaLulu stuff. (Choosing her beliefs over Lelouch is I think a really good moment for Kallen there) Basically, one of the things I find Lelouch and Kallen are both very willing to go to extremes to fight for what they believe. The problem is, they both also have a tendency to go somewhat overboard in these fights, and so I find I prefer their interactions with people who will actually call them on their shit. Hence why C.C./Lelouch and Suzalulu grabbed me quicker, and why KaLalu only really worked for me in R2. And why post-R2 SuzaKallen could totally work.

I agree that Kallen is the least complex of the main four; I still think she's underdeveloped in comparison. Mainly because Suzaku and Lelouch - and C.C. to some extent - are all brought face to face with their own personality flaws and how they have royally screwed up, and from this realisation manage to learn from and progress past them. Kallen, aside from smaller moments in R1 about her mother and Shirley's father, never really has that moment. (Which is why I like post-R2 Kallen, because realising how badly she misjudged Lelouch and Suzaku and what they were doing could be that moment for her, and I like seeing her move forward from that.)

I look forward to this fic, huzzah!
[User Picture]
From:robotlove
Date:November 14th, 2009 03:37 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Dear me, I think I love this little discussion. You've got some very good opinions there (lol dick moves) - I can certainly see your point on the BK being blindly loyal too (LOL TAMAKI).
PostR2 SuzaKallen DEFINITELY WORKS. THERE IS NO ARGUING WITH THIS

aaah now I want to work on it.
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 04:04 pm (UTC)
(Link)
One of the things that frustrates me a bit about fandom is that very few people seem to point out a great big flaw of Lelouch's: The fact he treats people he loves very differently than he does everyone else. Yeah, it's an understandable and sympathetic thing to do. But it's kind of horrible that for all his talk about "those who kill should be willing to be killed", he's willing to kill other people's loved ones but not have his own be killed. It's sympathetic and understandable, but it's still an ultimately selfish act, insisting other people live to a moral standard he himself doesn't keep. (I really love the part in the Zero Requiem arc where Suzaku actually calls Lelouch on this Re: Nunnally. And he proceeds to realize and overcome his flaw.)

As for the loyalty... Zero is so blatantly theatrical, so blatantly playing to the crowd with his superhero act, it just bugs me that so few questions are asked within the Black Knights. Yeah, he gets results, but it's so suspicious, I'd expect a catch.

Some of this has been floating around in my head for a while (One of the results of having unpopular fannish opinions is that - for me at least - I tend to do a lot of analysis as to why I have these opinions).

WELL OF COURSE IT DOES. It's showing up on FF.net in increasing amounts, too, though it's still a very minority opinion. Though to be fair, it's about the only time those two could have a relationship that wasn't entirely hate-sex.
[User Picture]
From:robotlove
Date:November 14th, 2009 04:59 pm (UTC)
(Link)
This is true. I remember wondering if the death of Shirley's father would change the way he did things, but it appears that... well, to get the rebellion done, SACRIFICES MUST STILL BE MAAAAAAAAAAADE. And of course since Lelouch is orchestrating the whole thing, he'd arrange everything to his 'convenience'... Then again, that's another reason why I love this show so much. As others have said, no one is fully wrong or right here. It's a show made up completely of shades of gray. Suzaku, while striving to be a good person, still isn't perfect, and Lelouch... goes without saying. I think it's probably why fans love him though, what with the whole byronic/machiavellian hero thing. (add that to his CLAMP good looks and potential gayness and poof! your miracle formula!)

Actually, in less serious moments, I more or less view the whole BK thing as a bunch of LOLs. I don't think I took them very seriously as an organization - sure, they successfully caused havoc many times, especially during the Black Rebellion, but they were always just under Lelouch's command - and I highly suspect this lack of srsbzness attitude with them is all down to THAT DARNED GAY COSTUME AND MASK. DARKLY DAWNS THE DUCK 8D I mean don't you agree that Zero's costume makes the whole thing ten times more... idk, CARTOONY? The only time this Zero-outfit thing got more serious for me was during the Requiem, and by that time, it was the END OF THE SHOW, so~ I must say though, bless them for having enough brains to revamp it in R2. The one-piece body suit thing in season 1 just served for endless lulz.

Tell me about it. I'd take postR2 bantering and relationship development over the hatesex any day.
[User Picture]
From:robotlove
Date:November 14th, 2009 05:00 pm (UTC)
(Link)
oh, and also, my list of recommendations has made its way to your inbox! Let me know if you have any questions, or if the formatting came out terrible, and so on, yeah? ♥

EDIT: AAAAAAAAAAAAAND in a spur of the moment, I clicked to your ffn favorites and I AM *BEGIN FANGIRL DRAMA* SHOCKED TO DISCOVER THAT PRIMARY GAIN IS NOT ON YOUR LIST.
THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST OF ALL CHAPTERED GEASS FANFICTION I HAVE SEEN SO FAR (which isn't a lot, but well when you read it, you'll probably see what I mean). I am probably biased because it is a fabulous SuzaLulu AU which starts out with VERY deliciously fun and well-done SuzaKallen, but pairings aside, the plot is marvelous (I shan't spoil!), the characters well-handled, and the scenes simply terrifically orchestrated. yinake would recommend it too, and I'm sure many others will. (I even have a guy friend who proclaimed, "THIS SHIT IS BETTER THAN GEASS ITSELF" despite his :/ at the yaoi, lol)

It's going to take you a few hours to plow through what there is thus far though, so provided you haven't already read this, I suggest you settle down with a nice mug of your favorite drink and some snacks when you find the time. If you have tons of paper, PRINT IT TO READ DURING THE FLIGHTS! 8D *end fangirl drama*

asfhajghag sorry for multiple edits! ^^"

Edited at 2009-11-14 05:14 pm (UTC)
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 15th, 2009 12:50 am (UTC)
(Link)
Oh, I totally agree with you about the shades of grey thing; for all it's flaws I have found that the show itself did a really good job making most of the characters in some flawed or morally dubious whilst still being sympathetic. Which is why I tend to get a bit >:( at the large chunk of fandom that doesn't seem to get this, and insist on painting [character they hate] as pure evil. Because... No.

(I actually came up with this theory in one of Yami's recent posts that a reason for Lelouch's ridiculous popularity - and the tendency for his fans to white-wash his flaws - is that Code Geass is, to some extent, basically a Draco in Leather Pants fanfic of a stereotypical shonen villain. It's not completely there, but the show has a number of aspects, and so fandom has a distinct tendency to completely fill in the rest of it)

Agreed on the one piece body suit. And, yeah, the BK and Zero are basically proof that the show isn't that far removed from Saturday Morning Cartoons. Which is why complaints about the unrealistic end or surprise that Lelouch and Suzaku ultimately teamed up makes me LOL. It may be darker and edgier, but it's still a freaking cartoon.

LOL, I put off reading Primary Gain, because it was a long WIP and I have been rather busy. And I like reading stories in one big go. But I have time now, so I will probably read it some time this week!

And your list is lovely and I can't see any formatting problems, so thank you very much for that.
[User Picture]
From:yinake
Date:November 13th, 2009 12:44 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Oh man, am I feeling like some ICE-CREAM rite nao --

(and, I agree with you on Rolo. I felt that he could have been a cool character, maybe, but he didn't really get enough screen time and sorry, but I still think he was thrown in mainly for yaoi/shota bait. And, I really can't stand the Lelouch/Rolo pair because I'm elitist enough to believe that if Lelouch is getting with a guy, it's supposed to be Suzaku. Yeah, I know.)

(Also, hot pink is also my fave color! :-))
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 13th, 2009 01:20 pm (UTC)
(Link)
MWAHAHA!

1. What was the very first fandom you were involved in?
2. Cats or dogs: Which is better? Please give reasons.
3. If you could live in any fictional world (ie. Be a part of the world of Fandom X), which would you choose?
4. What is your favourite food?
5. What person - current or historical - would you most like to meet?

(I don't think it's an issue of not enough screen-time, so much as that Rolo got plenty of screen-time, but it was all fairly one-note screen-time. He either should have had more development in the time he was onscreen, or been on less. And I totally agree with you about Lelouch pairings. I can't see Lelouch/Rolo as anything other than one-sided, and in the end Suzaku was probably the most important non-Nunnally person in Lelouch's life)

(*\o/*)
[User Picture]
From:frabjously
Date:November 13th, 2009 02:34 pm (UTC)
(Link)
ICE CREAM!
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 13th, 2009 02:40 pm (UTC)
(Link)
1. What's your favourite flavour of ice cream?
2. What piece of fiction (TV show, movie, book, whatever), would you love to see a Steampunk version of?
3. Which Alice in Wonderland character do you think you are most like?
4. If you could travel absolutely anywhere in the world, where would you go?
5. What is your current favourite place to go shopping?
[User Picture]
From:ephant
Date:November 13th, 2009 06:33 pm (UTC)
(Link)
icecream!
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 12:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
1. What is the most interesting place you have ever been to?
2. The Adventures of Chifley is being made into a movie. Who plays Chifley?
3. If you had to live off just one food for a month, what would it be?
4. If you could have hair of any colour, whatsoever (including crazy ones), what colour would you pick?
5. What is your favourite book?
[User Picture]
From:ephant
Date:November 14th, 2009 02:13 am (UTC)
(Link)
Hooray, thank you! My answers are on My Real Blog
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 02:17 am (UTC)
(Link)
RPattz as Chifley. I think my mind has been blown.
[User Picture]
From:ephant
Date:November 14th, 2009 02:19 am (UTC)
(Link)
I still can't stop giggling from when I thought of it.

AHAHAHAHA
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 02:25 am (UTC)
(Link)
Someone needs to photoshop this. Like, yesterday.
[User Picture]
From:ephant
Date:November 14th, 2009 02:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
YES

Not me though, I has not the skills :(
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 02:34 am (UTC)
(Link)
Me neither.

Woe is us and our lack of photoshop talent. ;_;
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 03:34 am (UTC)
(Link)
1. If you had to pick a song to be your theme song, what would you chose?
2. What is your favourite place in Melbourne?
3. I know you like comics and webcomics and what-not; who is your favourite comic artist?
4. What's your favourite colour?
5. If you could have dinner with any person, alive, dead or fictional, who would it be? (And what would you eat?)
[User Picture]
From:altheas
Date:November 14th, 2009 10:08 am (UTC)
(Link)
ICE-CREAM! (please??)
[User Picture]
From:drakyndra
Date:November 14th, 2009 01:32 pm (UTC)
(Link)
1. Where are you guys going for your honeymoon? (You are having a honeymoon, right?)
2. Pick two fictional universes, you'd like to see crossover. What would you want to see happen, or what characters would you want to meet?
3. Who's your favourite fictional lawyer?
4. What would an ice-cream named after you taste like?
5. ...Just what is RobCorp's current diabolical scheme for global domination?

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com